Friday, 30 May 2014

Simple Life - Give your best and God will do the rest

Sometimes I forget how easy it is for worry to creep into my day. One of my most common and everyday things of life I tend to stress and worry about is housework! I'm the kind of person who loves everything to be ordered and tidy. Everything has a place and its all straight lines and centered. On top of this I am naturally a task driven person and forget that not everything in life has deadlines to meet. So this combination mixed with worry is a great recipe for mega freak outs at my husband and to loose sight of the bigger more reasonable picture of everyday life.

The other day I had one of these classic melt downs where I hit all new levels of low with my husband, to the point where I felt so incredibly embarrassed I gave myself a fright as to how ridiculous I was becoming, how unfair I was being to my main man and how unhappy I was all because I was worried about not having enough time to get my house spotless before the end of the day. There is a whole lot of wrong with that picture!


Worry sucks the joy out of everyday living, remember life is simple its not meant to be that complicated.

I ended up stopping in my tracks, pulling up a seat and silencing my head. I just sat there in quiet and then started to look at this situation again. I saw that I was becoming a negative, complaining, tired, serious with not much fun in my day woman. This mirror I was looking into did not reflect the beautiful woman, wife and mother I so desired to shine. I was infecting this attitude and behavior into my family and my home. Wow! How quickly this had happened without me even realizing all because I started to worry about how clean I could get my home, but really the root problem was worrying about what guests may think when they came into my home. I didn't think that potentially my guests might notice more a tense atmosphere and an over tired host before they even saw how sparkly my bench may be.

As I sat I thought maybe I should see what God's word will say to me because I need some guidance here to shift what I was allowing into my home. Straight away I came to this scripture:

"Don't be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourself instead with the beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God. This is how the holy women of old made themselves beautiful. They trusted God and accepted the authority of their husbands." - 1 Peter 3:3-5

Immediately this spoke straight to the depths of my core! I was worrying to much about the outward beauty I had neglected what the inner beauty of the home should be. I spent more time complaining to my husband about how much I had to do and if only you could help more... instead of thanking him for the hard work he puts in everyday to provide, thanking him for what he already does to help me. I complained about my role in our home instead of seeing how loving my family by serving them was such a blessing. Then I heard these simple but freeing words:

"You are not a slave to your home, you don't have to be perfect. Being a good steward of all that you have should not be painful. All I ask is that you give me your best and I will take care of the rest"

Life is simple, its not that complicated! I humbled my heart right then in that moment. I had been so consumed with what people thought about me due to how tidy my house was that I had missed the fact that my role in this family is so much more than cleaning. I am the mother of the house, the one who sets the atmosphere everyday, I get to look after my family by having a clean and tidy house but I also get the privileged of bringing in the joy factor, the laugh like crazy factor the spontaneous play during the day. I get the opportunity to be apart of clothing my home with the inner beauty of a gentle and peaceful spirit. I want to live in that house!


Through out life we can worry about many different things, worry is always there but we have to actively choose to put on peace in our hearts and live in the place of joy. For me this revelation came out of the physical activity of housework but my prayer is that as you read this you can apply this to your own life and personal situations and gain a revelation of your own to live in a place where you simply give your best whatever that looks like and allow God to take care of the rest. That way we can carry on living the beautiful, clam and fun life we are all meant to have.

I leave you with this scripture as a reminder that no matter what situation or circumstance God will always come through when you allow him to be your refuge.

"Therefor I tell you, do not worry about you life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?" - Matthew 6:25-27

No comments: