Friday, 11 April 2014

Simple Life - Its ok to rest.

Well I am at the end of my week and what a full on week it has been! After having the morning out with my bubba all I desire to do now is to simply rest. However, as I sat on the couch all I could think about was the jobs I wanted to do that I didn't get done this week, how I could be cleaning and tidying up the place in preparation for the weekend but I just don't have the brain or physical energy for it. Then I realise something, no one is making me do anything. I don't have any deadlines to meet. The world is not going to come crumbling down if I decide to sit down and take some time out and look after me.

I don't know about you, but sometimes I think that a strong women is one who can keep going and going and have everything almost perfect, house spotless, dinner cooking, baby happy. Yeah that's probably a false perception of a women right there. The truth is, a beautiful women knows how to take care of herself, she isn't afraid to rest when she is weary and it's that simple.

If I don't learn how to rest physically and put aside all the things I think I must do I'm going to brake. There is always something to do and most of the time my days are active and full but there needs to be that moment where you simply sit, read a book, do your nails the options are endless as long as it is restful. 

When I look at the vision I have for myself, I see a women and a mother who loves her family unconditionally, who laughs with them and desires to spend time with them. I don't want to get to a place where I'm desiring time away or time out because I've had enough and they are a burden. If I am taking the time weekly to rest and relax, do something for me I truly believe it will keep me healthy and loving spending time with my people.

Have a look at your week, do you need to simply rest? Have you got to the point of your week where you look back over it and realise you've just had a unplanned full on week and now you are weary? Treat yourself and have some rest however that looks for you, don't make excuses there is always a way.

I'm reminded of what Jesus said about rest:

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” (Matthew 11:28-30 MSG)

When I was worrying this afternoon about what I thought I should be doing versus what I actually wanted to do, I stopped and prayed. I asked God what he thought I should do as He knows me best, He knows what I need better than myself and immediately after praying I felt the over whelming peace of God that His desire for the afternoon was to rest with me. So I handed everything over to Him and turned my brain off from the to do lists and flicked into rest mode.

Life is simple, let's not over complicate it by worrying about what we should and shouldn't be doing. If today you feel like you need to rest, then go and rest with God. Look after yourself because I guarantee you'll enjoy your life a whole lot more!

This afternoon I am going to keep company with God, leave the load for Him, I'm going to get away with a coffee and a book so that I can live freely and lightly. I leave you with this quote a friend gave to me which I now believe relates to resting and looking after myself, I daily move mountains because I am strong and courageous but now I continue to be the beautiful woman that I am from the peaceful place of rest, feet up and coffee in hand!





No comments: